- 6 eggs
- food dye (I used a red though it ended up more of a pink)
- 2 Tablespoons organic mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk yogurt (you can use 4 Tablespoons total mayonnaise if you wish)
- 1 teaspoons mustard
- freshly ground salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- smoked salmon, sliced
- capers, drained
- freshly ground pepper for sprinkling
Place the eggs in a pot with the water, making sure that there is at least an inch of water over the eggs. Bring the water to a rolling boil. Let cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let the eggs stand in the hot water for 15 - 20 minutes. Run the under cold water to cool.
Tap the boiled eggs to make a series of cracks all over the eggshells. Try to keep the shells intact. But if some pieces happen to flake off, don't worry.
Place the cracked eggs back in the pot and cover them with water again. Add in enough food dye to get the color that you want.
Bring back to a boil. Then remove the pot from heat and let the eggs stand until cool.
Peel eggs and halve lengthwise.
Remove yolks as carefully as you can and mash in a bowl with a fork. Add mayonnaise, yogurt, and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.