- Buttermilk Shortcakes with Macerated Berries from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes from Palatable Pastime
- Eggless Jam Shortcake Swirls from Sneha's Recipe
- Leftover Lemon Loaf Mixed Berry Shortcake from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mini Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Strawberry Lemon Shortcake from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Strawberry Shortcake with Sweet Biscuits from Amy's Cooking Adventures
- 3-1/2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla paste or extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- Also needed: rolling pin, baking sheet, parchment paper
Preheat the oven to 415 degrees Fahrenheit.
Whisk together the first four ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Blend in the chilled butter - with a pastry cutter - until you have pea sized pieces. Fold in the egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and vinegar. Press it together into a ball of dough. Remember - the less you work the dough, the softer the shortcakes will be.
On a floured or parchment-covered surface, pat the dough down to about 3/4" thick. Fold it in thirds like an envelope and roll it out one more time to 3/4" thick. With a cookie cutter - I used a circle cutter - cut biscuits and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- 1 cup organic strawberries, hulled and thickly sliced
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- 1 cup organic raspberries
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or paste