In this group, we are given a selection of three cake recipes. We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking & eating cakes!
The Cake Slice Bakers also have a new Facebook group called The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends. This group is perfect for those who do not have a blog but want to join in the fun and bake through this book.
Fig & Orange Cake
- 1 cup dried figs (mine were very moist so I didn't soak them) plus three more
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil (my favorite is arbequina for baking)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons zest from organic minneola tangelos (use whatever citrus you have, but make sure it's organic)
- 1/2 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia extract (or you can use 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
- Also needed butter, parchment paper, two 6-inch baking pans, wire rack
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed juice from the minneola tangelos
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Also needed: saucepan
*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.