Here we are at the July Soup Saturday Swappers event. Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm started this event and, every month, I get a new array of soup recipes to put in my to-try pile.
This month, I am hosting as we explore summer soups. I wrote, "Create a soup for summertime. It can be a chilled soup such as a gazpacho; it can be a soup that features summer produce; the limit is only your creativity. Have fun!"
Here's the line-up of summer soup recipes from the #SoupSwappers...
- Carrot, Beet Red Apple Soup by Sneha's Recipe
- Chilled Peach Soup with Labneh by Palatable Pastime
- Cucumber Gazpacho by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Fresh Summer Corn Chowder by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Instant Pot Summer Soup by Making Miracles
- Summer Fresh Corn Chowder by Pandemonium Noshery
- Summer Vegetable Soup with Sausage and Lentils by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Fresh Summer Corn Chowder
It may seem strange to cook and eat soup during the summer months, but I've always loved summer soups. Additionally, during this corona pandemic, I think that soup is always comforting. And as we enter our eighteenth week of being sheltered in place, I'll take as much comfort as I can get! This soup gets its rich, smokiness from ground bacon. If you can't find any ground bacon, just finely chop your favorite strips.
- 1/2 cup diced or ground bacon (if you're local to me, I highly recommend PigWizard)
- butter or olive oil, if needed
- 1 to 2 links andouille sausage, diced (depends on how spicy you want the chowder)
- 1/2 cup diced organic onions
- 1/2 cup diced organic carrots
- 1/2 cup diced organic celery
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup diced organic potatoes (I used Yukon gold)
- 4 cups broth (I used vegetable stock, use whatever you have)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 6 corn on the cob, husks removed and kernels sliced off
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- salsa for garnish
- Also needed: chips and salsa, for serving
Stir in the sausage, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook until the onions begin to soften and turn translucent. Stir in the oregano, paprika, cumin, and potatoes. Turn to coat the the bacon grease or olive oil.
Pour in the broth and white wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and let cook until the potatoes are fork tender, approximately 20 minutes. Uncover and fold in the corn kernels. Remove from heat and let stand for five minutes before serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper, as needed.
To serve, ladle into individual serving bowls. Garnish with cilantro and salsa, as desired. Serve immediately with chips and salsa.
That's a wrap for our July #SoupSwappers event. Next month our theme will be soup with oats. I'm thinking congee. Stay tuned.