This is my first time making gluten-free soft pretzels. Since I wasn't sure how the dough would stand up to a preliminary poaching, I opted to do a variation of my dough that goes straight into the oven. These didn't end up being pillowy soft, but they weren't bad - especially for gluten-free! I would make them again.
- 1 C whole milk
- 2 T butter
- 1 T active dry yeast
- 1 T organic granulated sugar
- 4 to 5 C gluten-free flour blend
- 1 to 2 T mixed seeds (I used caraway, sesame, and poppy seeds)
- 2 to 3 eggs for binding (mine needed 3) + 1 egg for wash
- pretzel salt or other large grain salt for baking
Warm milk in a small saucepan until it's warm to the touch, but not too hot. Add the butter and swirl until melted. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and granulated sugar in warm milk. Let stand until bloomed, approximately 5 minutes.
Add flour, seeds, and 2 eggs. Form into a dough. If the mixture is dry, add 1 more egg. Knead the dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes until the tops are nicely browned.
Post a Comment