Skip to main content

The Hundred Foot Journey is 'Incroyable'

The Invitation
"Would you like to go with me on a date?" I asked the little Wom, my Enthusiastic Kitchen Elf.

Where are we going?

"I want to take you to see a movie about cooking."

He looked at me skeptically. Where are Daddy and R- going to go?

Darn this kid knows me too well! "They are going to see a movie that is not appropriate for you." There, I admitted it. Our movie date was to distract him from the fact that he was being left out of a big-boy movie. Great.

Okay. Are you taking me out for dinner first?

"No, we're all going to have dinner together at home. Then we're all going to the theatre. You and I are going to see one movie and Daddy and R- are going to see another movie."

Okay.


We were there on opening night for our area and the theatre was packed. D looked around and noticed that he was the only child in the entire room. And, really, I was probably one of the youngest adults by at least two decades as well. Mom, are you sure that this is a kid-friendly movie?

"I'm sure." I explained that I had read the book and really loved it...and assured him that he would love it since he was such a good cook. He settled back in his seat and watched the previews in silence.

The Movie
I am usually very cautious about going to movies when I have read - and adored - the book. The filmmakers rarely live up to my expectations. But let me start with this: The Hundred Foot Journey is incroyable. It is, admittedly different from the book; but if you look at it as a self-contained creation - and don't think about the details that were left out from the book - it's outstanding and a must-see if you enjoy cooking or eating! And I have to admit that I loved that it was rated PG. There are too few movies appropriate for my kids' ages that aren't animated.

Enter the Kadam family, who fled from Mumbai, India to London. They are leaving the United Kingdom because "the food there has no soul." And the main part of the movie begins when their vehicle breaks down just outside of Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val, in Southern France.

Papa, who was D's favorite character, discovers an abandoned restaurant and decides to settle there and open an Indian restaurant.  Just across the street - one hundred feet away - is Le Saule Pleureur, a Michelin-starred restaurant owned by Madame Mallory, played by Helen Mirren. You can imagine the clash of cultures, right? The atmosphere at Maison Mumbai is festive and loud; Le Saule Pleureur is refined and aloof. Think plastic placemats versus starched white linens.

I'm not going to say any more except this. One of my favorite exchanges in the movie - and there were many - was this conversation about Hassan...

"Is he as good as I think he is?" queries Papa. 

"He's better," admits Madame Mallory.


As we were leaving the theatre, D asked, "Can we buy the DVD?"

Sure.

"I mean tonight."

No, Sweetheart, it just opened in the theatres tonight. It's not going to be out on DVD for awhile.

"Okay, but as soon as it's out? Can we get it...because I want to watch it again and again."

Absolutely.

"Since we can't buy the DVD, will you buy me an ice cream while we wait for Daddy and R-? Or sea urchins? I think we should cook sea urchins like Hassan did."

Yes to the ice cream. Maybe to the sea urchins...but not tonight.

Is this movie as good as you think it will be? It's better! And if anyone has an sea urchin recipes, I'm all ears. I have a feeling D is going to hold me to cooking sea urchins a la Hassan.

Comments

  1. I loved the book and can't wait to see this. Sounds like an FnF pick????

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce