Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Hand-Blended Mulling Spices #HolidayFoodGifts


A group of my favorite food bloggers are gathered today to share recipes for holiday food gifts. Thanks to Ellen of Family Around the Table for hosting. I love this theme! Here's what they posted to inspire your homemade holiday edibles!



As for me, this is something I that I love to make because it's easy to do in bulk and I can make the gift bigger by including wine or keep it simple by just including the spices.


One thing I love about this is that it's flexible. I don't measure. I just blend by scent and by appearance, asking myself: What will look good in the jar? Does that smell good?

So, this is more to inspire than to provide an actual recipe. Get creative!

Ingredients
  • cinnamon sticks
  • star anise
  • whole allspice berries
  • dried ginger
  • rainbow peppercorns
  • green cardamom pods
  • white cardamom pods
  • whole cloves
  • ground black lime
  • dried orange peel
  • dried lemon peel
  • Also needed: small jars and muslin bags


Procedure
Blend all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, breaking up the cinnamon sticks into small pieces.


Scoop the spice blend into jars.

Include instructions - Place 1 bottle of red wine, 2 T honey or organic granulated sugar, 1 T spice blend (in muslin bag), zest and juice of 1 organic orange into a large saucepan. Warm till wine begins to steam but don't let it simmer or boil. Remove from heat and let steep for 10 or 15 minutes. Rewarm before serving. Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. I think I have just about everything necessary to make this great gift. I'll check and try to include this with my gifts. Thanks for joining in the holiday food gifts event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift and it represents the holidays perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love mulled wine as the weather cools - such a nice alternative to punch and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love receiving this as a gift, because I am that person that actually has very little of these spices on hand. Clearly my pantry is boring, so I would appreciate this very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty collection of spices!

    ReplyDelete

Share Buttons