Skip to main content

Warm Brown Rice Salad with Fennel, Rainbow Chard, and Carrots

Last week we visited our CSA farm - Fogline Farm - to plant leeks and cauliflower. During the farm tour, Riley spied these full leafy greens with canary yellow stems in rows. Rainbow chard! They looked just about ready.

Today, when we picked up our first box of the season, there were two bunches included. Oh, happy day.

I decided to make the rainbow chard the focus of a warm brown rice salad for dinner.

2 C cooked brown basmati rice
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and diced
3 carrots, scrubbed and diced
1 bunch rainbow chard, rinsed and chiffonaded
2 T finely chopped Italian parsley
olive oil
sea salt flakes
freshly ground pepper
juice from 1 blood orange
1/2 C raw pistachios

While your rice cooks, saute the onion and fennel pieces in a splash of olive oil until they begin to soften. Stir in the carrots and cook until the fennel and onion are caramelized and the carrots are fork tender.  Add in the chard and cook till just wilted.

Toss in the brown rice, pistachios, and chopped parsley. Dress with olive oil, blood orange juice, and a little bit of salt and pepper

Serve warm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...