Skip to main content

Marigold Frittata



I was inspired by Miche Bacher's Calendula Quiche in Cooking with Flowers: Sweet and Savory Recipes with Rose Petals, Lilacs, Lavender, and Other Edible Flowers. But I didn't have calendula and I have never liked the designation of a 'crustless quiche.' To me, a crust makes it a quiche. I call this a frittata and decided to use my organic marigolds.





1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 bunch chard, chiffonaded
6 eggs, beaten
fromage blanc
petals from 6 organic marigolds
freshly ground salt
freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 350. Butter your baking dish and set aside.

In a large saucepan, quickly saute the leeks and chard until just beginning to wilt. You don't want them soggy. Spoon them into your baking dish, sprinkle them 1/3 of your marigold petals, and cover them with beaten egg. Dot the dish with as many dollops of fromage blanc as you want. I used a sheep's milk fromage blanc from Garden Variety Cheese at the Monkeyflower Ranch in Royal Oaks. Use another third of the petals to top the entire dish. Grind fresh salt and pepper over the top, cover with foil, and bake for 50 minutes. Remove the cover and return to the oven for another 10 minutes - or until the top is beginning to brown slightly. Serve with a final dusting of marigold petals.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...