Skip to main content

Baked Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs #BakingBloggers

 

This month, Sue of Palatable Pastime told the Baking Bloggers that for September we were baking with ground meat or minced meat. I am grateful to have some new recipes to try. This is what the #BakingBloggers are sharing...

Years ago I started baking my meatballs and, for this event, decided to try stuffing it with mozzarella. We rolled these in a tomato sauce and served them in a meatball sandwich.

Ingredients makes 16 meatballs
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
  • ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
  • ½ cup buttermilk
  • ½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
  •  ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  •  2 Tablespoons fresh basil
  •  2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  •  ¾ pound fresh mozzarella cut into 16 cubes

Procedure

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the bread crumbs and the buttermilk. Let stand for 10 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl, place all of the ingredients except for the mozzarella, including the bread crumbs. Mix together until just combined - not too much or the meatballs will be tough.


Divide meat into 16 even pieces. Press the meat into a disc and place the mozzarella in the center of the disc. Gently fold the meat around the cheese and pinch the edges together to completely enclose the cheese.

Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove meatballs from the oven.

Stir into a tomato sauce and let simmer an additional 20 minutes. Serve on a toasted roll with a sprinkle of more cheese.

Comments

  1. Meatball sandwiches...you are going to make those boys very happy and yes, tell them meatballs sandwiches DO count. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking meatballs is so easy isn't it? I love the idea of oozing mozzarella from the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, these meatballs look amazing filled with that mozzarella. Now I really really want a meatball sandwich.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...