- 4 ripe tomatoes (I used Roma tomatoes)
- 1/2 onion (I used a red onion)
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 head of garlic, halved
- salt to taste and to help grind
- freshly squeezed juice from 1 or 2 lemons or limes
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons cilantro
You can do this on a grill or a skillet. You can even roast the veggies in the oven. Char everything except the cilantro and the lemons or limes.
Use your molcajete to grind the garlic, onions, jalapeño, and tomatoes. Salt as you go; it helps to break up the veggies. Once you have the consistency that you want, squeeze in the citrus juice. Fold in the cilantro and stir to combine. Salt to taste and serve with chips.