Skip to main content

The Jasmine McCann #FoodNFlix


This month's Food'N'Flix event was hosted by my friend Courtney over at Fictional Fare. You can read her invitation: here. She asked us to watch Secondhand Lions.*

I had never heard of the movie much less watched it. But with a cast that includes Haley Joel Osment, Michael Caine, and Robert Duvall, Kyra Sedgwick, and Josh Lucas, I knew it had potential. Little did I know that it would become a family favorite; and we watched it twice in one day!

On the Screen
Let me set the stage: Walter (Josh Lucas) gets a phone call that his two uncles - Hub (Robert Duvall) and Garth (Michael Caine) have died. Then, you're dropped straight into 1950s Texas when young Walter (Haley Joel Osment) is being dropped off at his great uncles' house by his flaky mother, Mae (Kyra Sedgwick).

When they see Mae approach, they are standing in their pond, fishing.

[Hub and Garth look up, staring between Mae and each other in confusion.]
Garth: Huh?
Hub: You send for a hooker?
Mae: Uncle Hub, Uncle Garth- it's me, Mae!
[Hub and Garth stare at her, still confused.]
Mae: Mae! Pearl's daughter! And I brought Walter, your nephew!
Garth: Relatives.
Hub: [Groans] Damn.

There were so many laugh outloud parts of this film. But there was also a great love story, a tragic, beautiful love story when Hub fell in love with Princess Jasmine who was betrothed to a sheik. Jasmine chose Hub but they didn't live a fairy tale ending because, well, you'll have to watch it to find out. Okay?

movie still from Secondhand Lions
Hub tells Walter, in his speech that he gives to all boys on the cusp of manhood: Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things that a man needs to believe in the most: that people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love, true love, never dies... No matter if they're true or not, a man should believe in those things because those are the things worth believing in.

And, before I tell you what I made for this round, I want to make sure you know that next month, Eliot's Eats will be hosting us, watching To Kill a Mockingbird.* I love that it's another film I haven't seen. I've read the book, more than once, but I never watched the movie. It looks like a great one.


In My Glass
Inspired by Hub and Jasmine's romance, I knew that I wanted to use fresh jasmine blossoms. I asked all my local gardening gals and found a blooming bush. Though true love never dies, the jasmine bush does. I picked just a few sprigs.


There wasn't quite enough to do what I wanted, so I used some jarred jasmine jam to make a simple syrup. This is a great trick to making a small amount of syrup; I do this when I don't have enough of whatever I'm trying to infuse.

Jasmine Jam Simple Syrup

Ingredients
  • 3 T jasmine jam
  • 4 to 5 T water


Procedure
Add ingredients to a small pot and bring to a boil, whisking to break up the jam. Simmer until slightly thickened. Strain out the petals and wet aside to cool.

The Jasmine McCann

I set out to make a cocktail with the jasmine jam simple syrup. I thought I would just call it 'The Jasmine,' but it turns out there is already a cocktail with that name. That figures. But it uses Campari and, while I would enjoy that, it didn't seem to go the direction I wanted. So, to marry Hub's life with Jasmine and his life in Texas, I used jasmine syrup and whiskey! Violà - the Jasmine McCann!!


Ingredients makes 1 cocktail

  • 1-1/2 ounces whiskey (I used Jefferson's Ocean Bourbon Whiskey)
  • 1/2 ounce elderflower liqueur (I used St. Germain)
  • 1/2 ounce jasmine simple syrup
  • 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • fresh jasmine blossoms for garnish
  • thin slice or organic lemon for garnish
  • Also needed: ice and cocktail shaker

Procedure
Fill cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Pour in whiskey, elderflower liqueur, jasmine simple syrup, and lemon juice. Shake for 30 seconds. Strain into an old fashioned glass filled with ice. Garnish with jasmine blossoms and a lemon slice. Serve immediately.


*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.

Comments

  1. So glad you enjoyed the movie Cam. Love this drink you were inspired to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a hit with Jake, too. I just wish I had more fresh jasmine blossoms.

      Delete
  2. So I didn't make a cocktail this month (amazing, right?) but I would love one of these. Really, truly inspired Camilla. Glad you're excited about next month, too. I love TKAM (both film and novel).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmine jam? I have never even seen that. This cocktail is so cool Camilla, I just love it. Perfect for the movie and super creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely recipe and I'm glad you liked the movie as much as I did. So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like the perfect summertime sipper - that jam alone has me swooning! Love the Secondhand Lions inspiration and tie-in, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely! This is perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce