Skip to main content

White Velvet Soup {Putting Down Roots}


I  wanted to start off the Thanksgiving meal with something silky and luscious. (This photo makes it look lumpy, but it really wasn't. I promise!) This soup was made even more decadent with a drizzle of white truffle oil.

Ingredients

  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 2 medium onions
  • 5 potatoes (I had red potatoes)
  • 1 C water
  • 5 C vegetable broth
  • juice of 1 organic lemon
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • olive oil
  • white truffle infused olive oil
  • fresh herbs (I used a mixture of chives, mint, majoram, thyme, and parsley)


Procedure
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.

Wash and cut your head of cauliflower into small pieces. Slice your onions and potatoes into wedges. Spread them out onto the baking tray. Drizzle olive oil over top.


Put trays into the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the edges have become a nice golden tinge.


In batches, blend the veggies mixed with water and stock. The proportions don't need to be the same since it's all going into the souppot together. Place the puree into the pot. Add in the lemon juice and heat till warmed through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls. To serve, garnish with fresh herbs and drizzle with white truffle oil.

Comments

  1. This sounds wonderful. I love how it is all roasted prior to becoming soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wendy, the roasting brings a complex sweetness to the dish. It's fabulous.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...