Skip to main content

Thibarine (Tunisian Date Liqueur): Step One

I was looking for a quick, but unique liqueur to make for a birthday dinner in early January. I found it: thibarine, a date liqueur from Tunisia, is infused with caraway and cardamom. Oh, my! Even the brief ten-day decant seems too long.
I started with a gluten-free potato vodka.














I crushed 1 t organic green cardamom pods and 1 t black caraway seeds in a mortar then placed all of that with 1 lb deseeded medjool dates in a small saucepan. I covered it with vodka - just enough to submerge the dates - and heated the mixture until it just began to steam. I placed all of that plus the remainder of the vodka in a large glass container. Cover and let the mixture age in a cool place for 10 days. Stir once or twice.


Strain the liqueur into a colander over a large bowl. Discard fruits and spices. Strain through cheesecloth and pour into bottles. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it turns out, but how can you go wrong with these ingredients?

Comments

  1. It seems to be The real taste of Thibarine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, how much vodka did you use, please? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be giving this a try! Received some as a gift and sad to discover there's no way to buy more. Delicious stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...