This is a recipe usually made with collard greens and bacon. I gave it a Quail & Olive twist by using their new capocollo from Vermont Salumi and, instead of collard greens, I used a mixture of Tuscan kale, baby kale, and spinach.
Ingredients serves 8
- 12 cups greens (I used 6 cups Tuscan kale, torn into bits; 4 cups baby kale, 2 cups spinach)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (I used Vegan Bacon)
- ½ cup finely diced onions
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, peeled and pressed
- ½ teaspoon Black Magic seasoning (from Spiceology) or other Cajun seasoning
- 1 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 ounces capocolllo, diced
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar (I used Fire Cider)
- salt and pepper to taste
- filé powder, also known as gumbo filé, optional
- Also needed: Smoked Olive oil for serving
In a large, heavy bottom pot, heat olive oil. Add onions and sauté until softened and translucent. Stir in garlic and seasoning. Cook until fragrant, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the capocollo, then pour in 1 cup of broth. Bring to a boil.
Add in the kale. Stir until it turns a bright emerald green. Add in the baby kale and stir until wilted. Add in the spinach and stir until wilted. If it's too dry, add in the remaining broth 1/4 cup at a time.
Cover and cook greens for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
Once done, stir and taste the broth and the greens. Stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add in filé powder, if using. Drizzle with Smoked Olive oil. Serve immediately, but this holds well to serve later as well.
Post a Comment