Skip to main content

Southern-Style Greens

 

This is a recipe usually made with collard greens and bacon. I gave it a Quail & Olive twist by using their new capocollo from Vermont Salumi and, instead of collard greens, I used a mixture of Tuscan kale, baby kale, and spinach.

Ingredients serves 8

  • 12 cups greens (I used 6 cups Tuscan kale, torn into bits; 4 cups baby kale, 2 cups spinach)
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil (I used Vegan Bacon)
  • ½ cup finely diced onions
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic, peeled and pressed
  • ½ teaspoon Black Magic seasoning (from Spiceology) or other Cajun seasoning
  • 1 to 2 cups chicken broth
  • 3 ounces capocolllo, diced
  • 1 Tablespoon vinegar (I used Fire Cider)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • filé powder, also known as gumbo filé, optional
  • Also needed: Smoked Olive oil for serving


In a large, heavy bottom pot, heat olive oil. Add onions and sauté until softened and translucent. Stir in garlic and seasoning. Cook until fragrant, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the capocollo, then pour in 1 cup of broth. Bring to a boil.

Add in the kale. Stir until it turns a bright emerald green. Add in the baby kale and stir until wilted. Add in the spinach and stir until wilted. If it's too dry, add in the remaining broth 1/4 cup at a time.

Cover and cook greens for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring regularly.

Once done, stir and taste the broth and the greens. Stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add in filé powder, if using. Drizzle with Smoked Olive oil. Serve immediately, but this holds well to serve later as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...