- 1 cup cassava flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded or crumbled cheese (I used a cotija cheese)
- 1 Tablespoon organic granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons milk (I used whole milk)
- 3 cups oil, for frying (I used canola)
In a large mixing bowl, add in cassava flour, cornstarch, cheese, sugar, salt, baking powder, butter and egg. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to form pea-sized pieces. Bring the dough together with milk.
In a medium pan, heat oil on low to medium or hold between 320 – 340 degrees Fahrenheit. Divide the dough in 32 equal pieces; I used a scoop. Roll the dough into balls.
Fry 3 to 4 balls at a time until they are golden brown and crisped on the outside, approximately 5 minutes.
After they are done, remove them from the oil and place them on a paper towel. Serve immediately with Columbian coffee.