#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the Bread Bakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month I am hosting and asked the bloggers to post Easter breads from around the world as our theme.
I wrote: "We're posting after the actual holiday. I know. However, as everyone is home, sheltered-in-place to help flatten the coronavirus curve, maybe people are delaying Easter celebrations with friends and family. I know I am!"
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at email@example.com.
The #BreadBakers' Easter Bread Basket
- Choereg (Armenian Easter Bread) by Making Miracles
- Easy Glazed Baked Donuts by Shockingly Delicious
- Folar da Páscoa, a Less-Than-Traditional Version by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- German Osterbrot Easter Bread by Ambrosia
- Hot Cross Buns by Sneha's Recipe
- Polish Babka by A Messy Kitchen
- Kalach (Hungarian Easter Bread) by Passion Kneaded
- Kozunak (Bulgarian Easter Bread) by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Russian Kulich - Easter Bread by Food Lust People Love
- Sourdough Hot Cross Buns by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sourdough Ukrainian Paska by Zesty South Indian Kitchen
Folar da Páscoa
And I've been working hard to master sourdough. People said that I could substitute the sourdough starter for yeast by reducing liquid and flour. I decided to give it a try. Hence the less-than-traditional name of this Portuguese Easter bread. Also, the shape is not traditional. Usually Folar da Páscoa is made in the shape of a wreath with an egg cooked it in. I did that...
But I wanted to share the large monkey ball fist plait that I did instead because it was fun to do. And it looks really cool.
makes one large braided loaf
- 1-1/2 cups active sourdough starter (you can meet mine, it's called Dough-ba Fett!)
- 1 1/2 T sea salt
- 6 eggs + 1 for brushing before baking
- 1/2 C raw honey (I used an avocado honey that I had in the cabinet)
- 1-1/2 C (3 sticks) melted butter
- 6-1/2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 T water for finishing
- raw sugar for sprinkling