Skip to main content

Pumpkin Crème Brûlée

We are heading into the 2018 #PumpkinWeek. Yes, think dozens of bloggers and lots and lots of tasty pumpkin recipes. And, as a teaser, I decided to share a Pumpkin Crème Brûlée. This is not for the event and it's not for any sponsor. it's just a tasty treat based on my sheer love of the pumpkin!

Pumpkin Crème Brûlée

Ingredients
  • 1/3 C organic granulated sugar
  •  6 egg yolks
  • 2 C organic heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 t ground ginger
  • 1/2 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 t freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1 T zest from 1 organic orange
  • 1 t vanilla paste
  • 3/4 C pumpkin purée (here's one way to make purée)
  • 4 to 6 ramekins or small, oven-proof mugs
  • 3 T organic granulated sugar
  • Also needed: blender or food processor, culinary torch


Procedure
Cream the egg yolks and 1/3 C sugar until pale yellow and thickened. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine heavy whipping cream, orange zest and spices in a saucepan and heat on medium, until bubbles begin to form along the edge of the pan, just before it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla paste and pumpkin purée. Then whisk in the egg yolk mixture, whisking until smooth. 


Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, if desired. Portion evenly into ramekins.


Bake in a 350 degree F oven until no liquid appears when you jiggle the jars, approximately 40 minutes. 


Remove from oven and allow to cool.


When you're ready to torch them, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar on top of each custard. 


Using a small butane torch, hover a flame over the sugar, moving it around until the sugar caramelizes.


My Precise Kitchen Elf is always the first to offer to help when the torch is involved!


As you can tell, we loved this dessert. Can't wait to try it again soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...