Pumpkin Crème Brûlée
- 1/3 C organic granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 C organic heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 T zest from 1 organic orange
- 1 t vanilla paste
- 3/4 C pumpkin purée (here's one way to make purée)
- 4 to 6 ramekins or small, oven-proof mugs
- 3 T organic granulated sugar
- Also needed: blender or food processor, culinary torch
Cream the egg yolks and 1/3 C sugar until pale yellow and thickened. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine heavy whipping cream, orange zest and spices in a saucepan and heat on medium, until bubbles begin to form along the edge of the pan, just before it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla paste and pumpkin purée. Then whisk in the egg yolk mixture, whisking until smooth.
Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, if desired. Portion evenly into ramekins.
Bake in a 350 degree F oven until no liquid appears when you jiggle the jars, approximately 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool.
When you're ready to torch them, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar on top of each custard.
Using a small butane torch, hover a flame over the sugar, moving it around until the sugar caramelizes.
My Precise Kitchen Elf is always the first to offer to help when the torch is involved!
As you can tell, we loved this dessert. Can't wait to try it again soon.