Today we're celebrating National Pecan Day with host Liz of Book'N'Cooks. Check out the other nutty creations!
- Butter Pecan Cookies by Cookaholic Wife
- Derby Pie Macaron by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pecan Applesauce Cake by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Pecan-Crusted Maple-Mustard Roasted Chicken by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pecan Pie Cookies by Books n’ Cooks
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Praline Syrup by Palatable Pastime
- Toasted Goat Cheese & Pecan Salad by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
The pecan is one of our family's favorite nuts. I often substitute it into recipes that call for walnuts since two of my three say that walnuts make their tongues tingle.
In any case, you'll see pecans in D's Brown Butter Espresso Pecan Pie, Bourbon Pecan Pralines, Creole Cheese Ball, and Bacon Bulleit Brownies. Most of the time, for some reason, I've posted sweet pecan recipes. So, I decided that I would make a savory pecan dish for this event.
Ingredients serves 5
- 5 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- freshly ground salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup pecans, pulsed in a food processor to breadcrumb size
- 5 teaspoon mustard (you can use yellow, I used spicy brown)
- olive oil for drizzling
Place chicken thighs in a lidded container where they can lay flat in a single layer. Add the ground mustard, coriander, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Rub the spices into the meat. Drizzle with lemon juice and maple syrup. Cover the container. Refrigerate overnight.
Remove chicken from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before you want to start cooking and turn the meat so that the marinade covers both sides. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place chicken, skin-side up, in the pan. Spoon 1 t mustard on top of each thigh and spread over the skin. Press chopped pecans into the top to form the crust.
Drizzle with olive oil. Roast in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes, or until chicken is browned and crisp and cooked through. Serve hot.
I served this with steamed rice and Pecan-Topped Brussels Slaw. Delish.