Skip to main content

Aged Gouda-Bacon Biscuits

A local restaurant makes amazing bacon-cheddar biscuits. They are so amazing that one date night Jake and I skipped dessert and just ordered another batch of biscuits. I've had them on my list to make. So, one morning last weekend, I made a batch of bacon biscuits with some aged gouda that I had in the fridge. Delish.


Ingredients
  • 10 slices smoked bacon
  • 3 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 3/4 t baking soda
  • 1 1/2 C organic heavy cream
  • 1/2 C aged gouda, shredded

Procedure
Cook bacon in the oven - or however you wish - reserve bacon grease. Drain cooked strips on paper towels, then chop.

Preheat the oven to 400° F. Place all of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.


Use a wooden spoon to beat the ingredients until it comes together into a cohesive dough. Turn out onto a parchment-lined work space and knead gently until smooth.


Roll out the dough to about 1/2" thick. Cut into circles; I used a measuring cup. Lay biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet.


Bake the biscuits for 22 to 24 minutes - until golden. Let cool slightly on a wire rack and serve with apple butter, pumpkin butter, or - as I did - roasted acorn squash butter.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...