Skip to main content

Spicy Chocolate Sugar Cookies - NC-17

NC-17.  You've been forewarned, these are not appropriate for kids or work, but they are fun.



Spicy Chocolate Sugar Cookies.  I do mean 'spicy' as in 'spiced', but I also intend 'spicy' as in 'racy'...for Valentines' Day.  My secret to a happy marriage: always keep it spicy! 

2-1/2 C white whole wheat flour
1 C chestnut flour
1 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa
1 T ground ancho chili powder
dash of cayenne
1/2 C butter
1 C dark brown sugar, packed
1 t pomegranate balsamic vinegar
1 egg
1/2 C milk
raw sugar for sprinkling

Cream together butter and sugar.  When light and fluffy, add egg.  Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk, till combined.  Form a ball, wrap in plastic, and chill for an hour.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Roll out the dough and stamp out shapes of your choosing.  Transfer to parchment-lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with raw sugar.  Bake for 20 minutes till golden brown.  Leave on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.  Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...