- 2 cups flour + more for rolling
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 Tablespoons vodka
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- Also needed: parchment paper; rolling pin; pie pan; food dye, if making a colored design
- 2 pounds frozen berries (I used a mixture of raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
- 3/4 cup organic granulated sugar
- freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 or 2 lemons, to your taste preference
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons butter
Spoon out about 1/2 cup of the juice from the pan into a bowl. Whisk cornstarch into the juice until smooth. Bring pot of berries back to a simmer and slowly whisk in the cornstarch. Cook until it thickens, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in the butter and let cool while you roll out the pie crusts.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the undyed disk of dough from the refrigerator. Place the dough on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour and roll out into a 12" circle. Place dough into pie pan. Gently press the dough into the sides of the pan, crimping and trimming the edges as necessary.
Spoon the berry mixture into unbaked pie shell. Now roll out the blue and red crust and make your design. If you aren't making the JAWS-image, you can use the smaller crust ball to create a lattice or other design.
Place in the preheated oven and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 to 45 minutes. Check it after about 25 minutes and place a piece of tinfoil over it if the crust is getting too brown.
Once baked, remove to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool for several hours before slicing. Once cooled completely, you can cut into it.