Skip to main content

Winter Citrus Salad with a Honey Drizzle #OurFamilyTable


Today, Christie of A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures invited us to participate in a seasonal citrus recipe round-up. She wrote: "From lemons and limes to kumquats and blood oranges, share your fave ways to cook with seasonal citrus."


We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!

Winter Citrus Salad with a Honey Drizzle

At this time of year, citrus fruits abound. Citrus is rich in antioxidants that helps boost immune systems and protect against illness.I love that the tartness of the citrus, plus the sweetness of honey, herbaceousness of fresh thyme, and a little salt and olive would make a wonderful winter citrus salad.

I picked the citrus for their visual appeal, with flesh in two shades. You can use all naval oranges or whatever citrus you have available to you.

Ingredients serves 4

  • 2 organic cara cara oranges
  • 2 organic naval oranges
  • 2 organic grapefruits
  • 2 T honey
  • 1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 t fresh thyme
  • 1 t sea salt flakes

Procedure

Peel all the citrus fruit, ensuring all the white pith is removed.


Slice the citrus and arrange on a serving plate, alternating colors, if you are using different colored fruits. Sprinkle with thyme and sea salt. Drizzle with honey, lemon juice, and olive oil. Serve immediately.

Comments

  1. So pretty!!! Brings me back to the citrus salad from Matrix!!! Love the honey, lemon, and olive oil drizzle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...