Skip to main content

Domaine Cauhapé 2017 Chant des Vignes – Jurançon Sec #Winophiles #vignoblessignatures #clubvignobles #Sponsored

This is a sponsored post written by me in conjunction with the December #Winophiles event.
Wine samples were provided for this post and this page may contain affiliate links.

This month, Lynn of Savor the Harvest, hosted the French Winophiles as we celebrate the holidays French-style. You can read her invitation: here. Merci beaucoup to Michèle Piron, Vinconnexion, and Vignobles & Signatures, our generous event sponsors!

While I received four beautiful bottles of French wine, for the actual French Winophiles Fête I stuck with a quintessential classic: Champagne - with a bottle from one of the event sponsors Drappier. You can read my post: A French Winophiles Fête: Foie Gras, Pain d'Épices & Champagne Drappier. But I still had a few more bottles to open and explore.

Today, I'm sharing thoughts about the Domaine Cauhapé 2017 Chant des Vignes – Jurançon Sec.


The Jurançon is a wine region, in the foothills of the Pyrenees, in Southwestern France. The area produces a dry white wine and a more sought after sweet white wine. The indigenous grape varieties used are Gros Manseng, Petit Manseng, and Courbu. Given my reading, this was more dry than I anticipated, but still had the typical tropical fruit notes I had expected.

This wine includes those three grapes...and then some. It is a blend of 30% Gros Manseng, 30% Petit Manseng, 30% Camaralet, 5% Lauzet, and 5% Courbu.

These lesser known varietals resulted in an almost citrusy wine with notes of grass and honeysuckle. Still, it's bright and balanced with fair acidity and a medium heft. Sipping it alone was fine, but it shined with the dinner.


I served the wine with oven-roasted mussels over wilted greens. What a meal! Recipe to come later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...