Skip to main content

Beer-Butt Chicken

Because I am always up for a cooking adventure, when two friends gave me a Beer-Can Chicken stand as an early Christmas present, I decided to add "Beer-Butt Chicken" to Dylan's lunch menu for his gingerbread house party. I'm still not sure if they actually thought I would use it, or if they just thought it was funny...I used it!

After reading several different versions, I decided the two most important things were: only have the can half full of beer and plug the neck hole with something.

Not having any beer in a can, I used a sparkling water can and filled it halfway with whatever beer I had on-hand. Actually I snagged a bottle from the Jake's Dragon Cabin (AKA Man-Cave) because I didn't want to use any of MY expensive ales for this experiment. I added two sprigs of fresh thyme to the can. Then I set the chicken on the rack and rubbed it with sea salt, pink pepper, ground ginger - to stay with the gingerbread theme - ground cinnamon, and paprika. Oh, and I plugged the neck hole with a small purple potato.

I baked it in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours. The result: moist, beer-infused chicken. I'd call it a success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...