Skip to main content

Upside-Down Pear Gingerbread

Whenever I find seckel pears - miniature, gem-colored fruits with a scent that reminds me of a summer's garden - I make this cake. It's simple, but looks elegant enough for a formal dinner.

Butter your baking dish and spread a thin layer of brown sugar into the dish. In the meantime, melt some butter in a large sauce pan and place pears - cored, halved, and destemmed - cut-side down in the pan. Let pears cook till the cut surface begins to brown slightly.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3/4C white whole wheat flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t pink Himalayan salt
2 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground ginger
1 egg, beaten
3/4 organic brown sugar
1/4 C maple-agave syrup or ginger syrup
1/2 C plain Greek yogurt
2 T olive oil

Arrange pears, cut side down. Blend all other ingredients to form a batter. Pour over pears. Bake until cake is a deep brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a serving plate. Serve warm or cold.

504 Main

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...