Skip to main content

Strega-Spiked, Licorice-y Seafood Stew

For National Licorice Day, I decided to make a licorice-y seafood stew with the licorice cousins: fresh fennel, fennel seeds, anise seeds. Whether you call it cioppino, ciupin, cacciucco, or buridda, I think this is a quintessential Italian seafood stew. It's made with whatever seafood is readily available; the flavor combinations are all very Italian. And just as every, and I do mean every, Italian dish is made differently by each Italian cook, here's my version...



Ingredients
  • 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 2 C fresh tomato sauce
  • 6-7 C vegetable stock (or fish stock)
  • 1 C dry white wine
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1/2 t anise seeds
  • 1 t fennel seeds
  • pinch of saffron
  • scallops
  • cod, cut into chunks
  • clams
  • splash of Liquore Strega, saffron liqueur (or use any licorice-flavored liqueur)
  • fresh oregano (I had a fragrant bunch from my WE Cooperative CSA!)
  • freshly ground sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • fennel pollen

Procedure
Brown onions and fennel in a large stockpot with a butter and a splash of olive oil. Add anise seeds, fennel seeds, and a pinch of saffron. Cook till everything begins to soften. Add tomato sauce, vegetable stock, wine, and bay leaves. Stir and bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes.

Add and cook your seafoods. Once everything has cooked, stir in fresh rough-chopped oregano. Pour in a splash of Liquore Strega. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with a pinch of fennel pollen on each bowl.

Serve with a crusty bread. Pronto al tavolo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...