- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 C fresh tomato sauce
- 6-7 C vegetable stock (or fish stock)
- 1 C dry white wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 t anise seeds
- 1 t fennel seeds
- pinch of saffron
- cod, cut into chunks
- splash of Liquore Strega, saffron liqueur (or use any licorice-flavored liqueur)
- fresh oregano (I had a fragrant bunch from my WE Cooperative CSA!)
- freshly ground sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- fennel pollen
Brown onions and fennel in a large stockpot with a butter and a splash of olive oil. Add anise seeds, fennel seeds, and a pinch of saffron. Cook till everything begins to soften. Add tomato sauce, vegetable stock, wine, and bay leaves. Stir and bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
Add and cook your seafoods. Once everything has cooked, stir in fresh rough-chopped oregano. Pour in a splash of Liquore Strega. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with a pinch of fennel pollen on each bowl.
Serve with a crusty bread. Pronto al tavolo!