Skip to main content

Bacon-Leek-Kale Frittata



Frittate
(plural of frittata) are a great way to use up vegetables. Sunday was always the day, in Italy, to use up the veggies that were leftover from the week. Sometimes it was a minestrone. But more often than not I made a vegetable frittata.

This is fast, easy and portable; it makes a great snack after a hike or a nice, protein-filled lunchbox goodie. And it's just as good cold as it is warm. Use whatever veggies you have on hand. Here's what I did tonight for tomorrow's lunchboxes...with some delicious greens from my WE Cooperative CSA box from Fogline Farm in Soquel.

1 leek, trimmed and diced
5 strips of applewood smoked bacon, cut into 3" pieces
1 bunch of kale, rinsed and chiffonaded
splash of olive oil
7-8 eggs (this was for a 9"x13" pan, adjust your eggs to fit your pan)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large, flat-bottom pan, heat a splash of olive oil and caramelize the leeks. Add the bacon and cook until the fat is rendered. Toss in the kale and cook till the stems are just fork tender. Butter a baking dish. Spoon the leek, bacon, and kale into the dish. Cover with beaten eggs. Wrap the dish with foil.

Bake it in a 350 degree oven till the center is firm, usually about an hour. Uncover the dish and bake for another 5 minutes until the top is lightly crisped and golden brown.

What's your favorite combination of vegetables for frittata?!? Leave me a comment below, or email me at constantmotioncamilla [at] gmail [dot] com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...