Welcome to the July 2020 Improv Cooking Challenge. This group is headed up by Nichole of Cookaholic Wife. And I haven't been very consistent, but I love the idea of the group, so I will try to be better in the coming months.
The idea behind Improv Cooking Challenge: we are assigned two ingredients and are challenged to create a recipe with those two things. This month's items: watermelon and olive oil. Here's what the crew is sharing with those ingredients...
- Making Miracles: Watermelon Salad with Feta andCucumber
- Pandemonium Noshery: Andalusian Watermelon Gazpacho
- Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Summery Grilled Haloumi Salad
- Sneha's Recipe: Kalingana Saali Polo /Watermelon RindDosa
- Cookaholic Wife: Sweet Heat Watermelon Gazpacho
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Watermelon Blueberry and Mint Salad
- Palatable Pastime: Watermelon Chaat Salad
Summery Grilled Haloumi Salad
There's nothing more summery than a salad of sun-kissed watermelon and vine-ripened tomatoes. When you add haloumi to the top, it's dinner!
Haloumi originated in Cyprus, during the Medieval period, and gained popularity throughout the Middle East. Since Cypriots like eating haloumi with watermelon in the summer months, I decided to do the same...with some fresh tomatoes from the farmers' market.
- heirloom tomatoes
- seedless watermelon
- haloumi cheese
- olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- fresh thyme
- Also needed: grill or grill pan
Slice tomatoes and watermelon and place on serving platter. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and fresh thyme leaves.
Heat the grill pan over medium heat and grease with oil. Lay slices of haloumi on the grill and cook until nice char marks appear, approximately a minute or so. Flip over and grill on the other side.