Skip to main content

Riley's Honeycomb "Cake"


When I helped a friend at her organization's auction gala a few weeks ago, she took me by the hand, walked me over to a table, pointed, and said, "Cam, this has your name written all over it. You should bid on it." She was right and I bid, bid, and bid again in order to win a honeycomb from Acosta Farms in Salinas.

My thought: Riley will love this. I'll use this, instead of cupcakes, for his birthday treat to school.

Well, he did love it, but intuitive foodie that he is, he also recognized that kids in his class might not think it was as cool as he did. So, he, kindly, requested zucchini cupcakes - without frosting - for his classmates, and said the he'd like to serve the honeycomb cake at his birthday camping trip. Done.

So, we toted the thing on our camping trip with five other families, gathered round and sang to the birthday boy, then cut slices out of the comb and served it up as his birthday cake.

We all squished the wax around in our mouths to release the pockets of liquid gold, then spit the wads of wax out like discarded chewing gum. That and my child's excited declaration, as base as it was, "we're eating dried bee vomit!!!!" It was quite an adventure!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...