Skip to main content

Côte d'Ivoire: Cooking Around the World with Camilla

Whoops. I just realized that I never did the wrap-up on our tabletop travel to Côte d'Ivoire. Formerly known as the Ivory Coast, this West Africa country officially uses its French name, Côte d'Ivoire.

The country's name come from its supply of ivory - from the tusks of elephants - that Europeans desperately sought to control. In return for the gold and ivory,  Europeans brought weapons; the Portuguese introduced Ivorians to cassava, which is now a daily staple. 

We started off with Crevettes au Curry (shrimp curry) that we served over mashed yams with tomatoes. A curry dish with tangy unripe mangos and saucy tomatoes, this is traditionally made with crayfish for a Ecrevisses au Curry.


We washed that down with glasses of cold citronelle, a sweetened lemongrass tea.


And to cap off our Ivorian feast, Dylan baked a Tarte à l'Ananas Caramélisé (caramelized pineapple tart).


Funny story inspired by the tart...

My mom is reading Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck to the boys. [No, I don't think the language is appropriate.] There's a passage describing a woman as a tart. Nonna asked if they know what a tart is. My foodie 8-year-old yells, "I know, I know! A tart is like a pie, but the crust is just a little bit different. And sometimes it's made with pineapple!!!!"

Well, duh. Of course that's what a tart is.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...