Skip to main content

Avocado Carpaccio {RAW}


Carpaccio is, by definition, raw. The story I've heard is that carpaccio was invented at Harry's Bar in Venice and named for the Italian painter Vittore Carpaccio who was prone to using red in his paintings - the red of raw beef. So, the salad that bears his name is thinly sliced raw beef piled atop watercress or arugula, drizzled with a vinaigrette made with olive oil and lemon juice and topped with shaved parmesan cheese.


I've been the Harry's Bar once, but I didn't have the carpaccio. Actually, I didn't have anything. I was on a strict budget with just enough in my wallet for an overnight stay, a kilo of tangerines, a wedge of cheese, and a bottle of cheap red wine. I just went in to Harry's and snapped a photo or two before heading on my to the convent on Giudecca where I was spending the night.


So, carpaccio is also, by definition, red which avocados definitely are not. But, of all the raw dishes I made tonight, this one was the favorite. Dylan declared, "I've never had avocados this good before!" Me, either.

To be able to slice the avocados and retain the shape, select avocados that are just under-ripe.

Slice the avocados and arrange them on a place. Sprinkle them with freshly ground pink Himalaya salt, flower pepper, paprika, and fresh thyme leaves. Drizzle them with lemon juice, olive oil, and some raw honey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...