Skip to main content

Brandy + Chocolate Pairing by Sunset

After my brandy distillation lesson, courtesy of Owen at Osocalis, I swapped the planned whiskey-chocolate pairing for a brandy-chocolate pairing at last night's gathering. As the sun was about to dip below the horizon, we toasted and tasted three different brandies paired with three different chocolates.


Click here to read about my serious-starting-at-zero experience with brandy; I penned a piece for Edible Monterey Bay about the Monterey Wine Festival last week.

Brandy, in case you are as unfamiliar with it as I was, is a distilled wine and short for “brandywine.” Distilled wine means that it's heated and concentrated for a more potent libation.

Cognac is a variety of brandy produced in the area around the French town of Cognac. Like Champagne, unless it's from Champagne, the town, it has to be called 'sparkling wine' or 'Champagne-style.'

And Calvados, sometimes abbreviated to Calva, is an apple brandy from the French region of Lower Normandy (Basse-Normandie).

Since I wasn't able to get to Soquel to pick up any Osocalis, I made due with what I could find around town. And we found a hit...or two. With our differing palates, we liked different brandies. Here's what we tried...


We started with an E&J Brandy whose founders, Ernest and Julio Gallo, sold their first brandy under the "Cream of California" label in 1938, following in the footsteps of the Spanish missions who had made brandy in California as far back as the late 18th century. As a California-style brandy this was lighter in flavor and mouthfeel than its European counterparts; we paired that with some chocolate covered fruit.





















Then we moved to a Cognac that we paired with some dark chocolate, cocoa-covered almonds. This was the favorite for a few - smoother and more complex. The Calvados was intriguing and my personal favorite. That I served with a dark chocolate-sea salt-caramel bar or a dark chocolate-toffee-walnut bar.

The pairings bar was a hit. Now I just need to think of something else for for our next gathering.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...