Skip to main content

Food'N'Flix: Cloudy with the Chance of Meatballs Double Feature {Round-Up}

Food‘nFlixThis month I invited bloggers to join me for August's Food'N'Flix event to watch - and cook from - a double-feature of the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs flicks. Bloggers could choose to watch the original or the sequel or both!

Caroline Makes wrote: "This film is full of food - at one point it rains cheeseburgers - but as the title is so memorable I wanted to make something with meatballs. I've featured meatball recipes on my blog before, like these cheese-stuffed meatballs." Caroline submitted a plate with broccoli trees and mashed potato clouds. I loved that she played with her food!

from Caroline Makes

It's raining meatballs! Gwen of Simply Family Healthy submitted a photo of her Chicken Parmesan Meatballs with Eggplant.

from Simply Family Healthy

Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures couldn't decide what to submit and ended up with two foodimals. Perfect. She made a Buffaloaf, classic meatloaf that was so stinkin' cute! And it tasted good, too. Here's what she wrote: "It was flavorful, moist, and delicious!  Hubs took a bite and said, “Woah.  This is not your standard unglorified meatball.”" Nice.


And she made a Sub-Whale. Not only did she make another adorable foodimal, she made her own hoagie bread. Way to go, Amy!!



More meatballs from Elizabeth at The Lawyer's Cookbook...she made Spaghetti and Bacon Meatballs.


And I also have to share this. She included, "My boyfriend and I even adopted the way they kiss." I laughed so hard because that's how my 10-year-old kisses me goodnight, too. I love silliness.


Cheap Ethnic Eatz's Evelyne made a Layered Jello Yogurt Cake. Evelyne enjoyed that the movie gave a thumbs up for the science geeks and nerdy types. Agreed! She posted: Flint makes a world of Jello for the girl he likes. A whole world of things made of Jello. And this is one of my favorite lines from the movie, her response:

Sam Sparks: [Holding spoonful of jello] It’s a solid, it’s a liquid, it’s a viscoelastic polymer made out of polypeptide chains but you eat it! I mean, it tastes good!


Heather, of girlichef, always ups the ante. For this event - remember the airplane-attacking gummy bears?!? - she made her own Giant Evil Gummy Bears. "These gummy bears are incredibly simple and fast to make. All you need is unflavored gelatin and flavored gelatin mix (like Jell-o). In 20-30 minutes, you (and by you, I mean your totally mean your kids, duh) will be biting the heads off of giant evil gummy bears like nobody's business."

I'll admit, I did order the mold right away. ;)


Another post that wins on the cute factor is the 'StrawBarry' Marshmallow Mousse by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen. "In honor of Barry and the marshmallows, we have a sweet, fluffy (and pretty cannibalistic I guess) 'StrawBarry' Marshmallow Mousse ;-)" Too funny.


Debra at Eliot's Eats sent me her post just under the wire. Phew, you made it! She made a Spicy Rooster Pizza - like the pizza flurries. "I wanted to create my pizza in honor of a favorite menu item at Marley’s in Tulsa. Our favorite creation there is the Italian Rooster (Grilled Chicken, Pepperoni, Jalapeno Peppers & Mozzarella Cheese with Garlic and Oil Glaze).  Here’s my rendition... the “rooster” in the title of this recipe is also an allusion to all the crazy food-animals in the sequel."


And lastly, I had a hard time deciding between meatballs, foodimals, and sardines. I ended up going with sardines because, like Swallow Falls, sardines are important to where I call home: Monterey and California's central coast. While Flint says "sardines...are super gross." I'm grateful that the silver tide is enjoying a resurgence because my family loves sardines. I opted to make an Italian sardine dish - Sarde in Saòr, sweet and sour sardines.


One more! Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm added in her Grilled Corn on the Cob. She posted it in a timely manner, but because I sidetracked her with a 10-day blogging event next month, she forgot to share it with me. So, I'm adding her in a little bit late. Late, but worth the wait! I love the chiffonade of basil.


And one more...really, this is it! Joanne from What's on the List? Added in her Weather Forecast Meatballs to the round-up. Love her advice: "Simple enjoy what the movie has to offer and don’t read anything sinister into the plot, or buy into thinking about the “science creating more harm than good” theory etc."


And that's a wrap - really, this time, it is! - on this month's Food'N'Flix. Thanks so much, all, for watching and participating! Caroline Makes is hosting next month. She selected Funny Girl. That's a new one for me. Can't wait! Keep an eye out for her official invitation.

Comments

  1. Thanks for hosting this round up! It was a great movie choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for cooking! It WAS fun to watch, wasn't it?

      Delete
  2. This was such a fun pick, Camilla - thanks so much for being out hostess this month. And now to checkout these fabulously inspired dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like everyone had fun playing with their food this month. So much creativity. Makes me wish I had time to try harder. Thanks for hosing, Camilla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very fun pick Camilla and so many wonderful dishes! Thanks for hosting. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great roundup Camilla, I loved seeing such different and fun entries! I will be publishing the announcement for next month on the 1st and explaining why I chose Funny Girl, I hope you all like the movie but more importantly are inspired to cook something! Which reminds me, I haven't decided what I'm going to make yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. arrrrgh, mine was all completed on August 11th and I forgot to submit it!!! Duh....anyone still interested can find mine here http://adayinthelifeonthefarm.blogspot.com/2014/08/cloudy-with-chance-of-meatballs.html, It's all Camille's fault because she got me busy with the tail gate party LOL. Sorry guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the recipes!!! Thank you so much for hosting, Camilla!

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day and such a great Round Up! Thank for hosting such a fun film; one I would not ordinarily view!
    Heaps fun this month! Thanks for your patience and understanding too!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow so many participants and great dishes this month. Thanks for hosting Camilla!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce