Skip to main content

Salted Hop Caramel Sauce


I know that some people are very fastidious about their caramel. If I were making candy, I would have pulled my candy thermometer out of the drawer, but for sauce...I'm more fast and loose. I decided to try to make a hop-infused salted caramel. I think next time I'll use more hops. Because the hoppy profile wasn't too strong, I left the petals in. If it were stronger, I might have strained them out.

Ingredients
  • 1 C organic raw turbinado sugar
  • 1/4 C water
  • 2 hop blossoms, pulled apart (I used some Cascade hops from the Lamberts)
  • 3/4 C organic heavy cream
  • 3 1/2 T butter
  • 1 t gray fleur de sel (whatever you use, make sure it has a fine flake)

Procedure
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and hop blossoms over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Once all of the crystals are dissolved, turn up the heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. If needed, use a wet pastry brush to wash down any crystals along the side of the pan. Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, approximately 5-6 minutes.


Turn off the heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream.



The mixture will bubble. Stir in the butter and salt. Remove the caramel from the heat and let cool completely. Pour into a jar and refrigerate.


Note: the caramel sauce will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Reheat before serving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...