Skip to main content

Introduction to Dragonfruit


When it comes to fruits and vegetables, we embrace the sentiment 'the funkier, the better.' Case in point: the dragonfruit. When I saw them being shipped from Goodland Organics just south of us, I ordered several...along with some caviar limes. 

Dragon fruit, also known as 'pitaya', is native to tropical parts of Southeast Asia, Mexico, South and Central America. On the plant, its dramatic and aromatic flower opens after dark and is known as the 'Queen of the Night'. The flesh is comparable to a kiwi or a pear, though I don't think it shares the sweetness, just the texture. 

Now, about the post title, they aren't a new-to-me fruit, but I figured they might be new to some of my readers. This is what they looked like in the box...


This is what they look like when you slice them open. The seeds are haphazardly distributed throughout the milky flesh. We talked about how they look like kiwis, but even kiwi seeds have a pattern.


This is how I prepped them. Slice them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the white flesh. Compost the pink. I wonder if there's a way to use the pink part...it's so vibrant and pretty!


You'll see these in a recipe later today. Maybe two.

Have you ever tried dragonfruit? How did you eat it?

Comments

  1. Some are also hot pink inside, but they don't taste any different (that is, they also don't have much taste...).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...