Friday, October 16, 2015

Dairy-Free Pumpkin Muffins

We are no longer doing our dairy-free experiment. Thank goodness! While Jake was trying it out, I did discover that making homemade nut milk is so easy and much better than store bought nut milk; I also realized that I can give up any food except for cheese. 

There is no good dairy-free substitute for cheese. Sorry, vegan friends. Your soy, nut, et al cheeses are awful. Trust me, I spent a lot of money, trying every single brand during Jake's one month experiment. Awful, I tell you. If I had to give up dairy for allergy reasons, I would survive. Somehow. But I would be unhappy. Since dairy-free was just an experiment, the day it ended, I ran to the Cheese Shop and bought five different kinds of cheese!

Still, I do play with baking dairy-free. This morning, I made dairy-free pumpkin muffins. Here's how the conversation at our breakfast table went this morning...

R: What's for breakfast, Mommy?

C: Pumpkin muffins, figs, and kale smoothies.

R: Hooray, Mommy is in pumpkin-mode!

D: It's not fair though because she normally goes into pumpkin-mode sooner. Now we only have half a month of pumpkin-mode.

R: Half a month is better than no month.

D: Wait! Are these gluten-free, dairy-free?

C: No.

D: Hooray.


Ingredients

  • 1-3/4 C flour
  • 1 C organic coconut sugar
  • 1/2 C raw turbinado sugar
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 T ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 t ground cloves
  • 1/2 t ground nutmeg
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 C pumpkin puree (how to make pumpkin puree: version 1version 2)
  • 1/2 C coconut oil
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 C golden raisins
  • 1/2 C pumpkin seeds


Procedure
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line muffin hollows of your baking pan.

Place flour, sugars, baking soda, and spices in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to blend. Add in the eggs, pumpkin puree, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir with a wooden spoon or a spatula until everything is just moistened. Portion batter evenly in your baking tray; I heaped the batter into my 1/3 C measuring cup.

Bake muffins for 22 to 25 minutes until the muffins are puffed up and bounce back when you press on the top. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons