Skip to main content

New to Me: Caviar Limes

When I interviewed a (fairly) local farmer who is growing coffee - yes, in California! - I took a look at some of his other products and ordered the one that was new to me: caviar limes. My box from Good Land Organics arrived yesterday and they are fantastic!


Also called 'finger limes' these are a micro-citrus native to Australia. They are referred to as vegan caviar because the flesh is similar in texture but has a distinct lime flavor. Like caviar, the tiny beads burst in your mouth; unlike caviar, the sensation is bright and citrusy versus dark and salty. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy caviar, too. But these limes are phenomenal. Think lime but multiply its intensity by fifty and add an herbaceous aroma. It reminds me of a Makrut lime. Sort of. If you can get your hands on any, try it and tell me what you think.

So far, I've used them in a cocktail. You'll see that recipe soon. And I'm hoarding the rest...until I can come up with a unique way to feature them. Stay tuned!

Comments

  1. These are so cool! I really want to find them and try them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow....those sound tasty. I must go on a search....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid the spot prawns are unlikely in Minnesota, but I know I can get prawns. Never heard of caviar limes before, the search begins! Looks perfect with Champagne!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...