Skip to main content

Holman Ranch Hosts Sweet Elena {In Your Own Backyard}

Last year, for my birthday, I headed to Holman Ranch Tasting Room with some girlfriends to meet the Queen of Quince. We tried our hands at rolling Yalanchi Sarma, Armenian stuffed grape leaves, nibbled on quince leather, and feasted on various mezze, including pickled cauliflower, black olive dip, spiced feta, and more. And we sipped on different varietals from Holman Ranch Vineyard, including a chardonnay and a pinot noir. It was a fantastic evening.

So, when I saw that Holman Ranch Tasting Room was kicking off their "In Your Own Backyard" 2013 series with a cooking demo by Sweet Elena's Bakery and Cafe, I signed us all up. We love Elena! She baked the cheesecakes for my wedding and has continued to dazzle us with her baking prowess.


Elena Salsedo, former Ventana Inn pastry chef and current proprietor of Sweet Elena's in Sand City, demonstrated making moqueca, the Brazilian seafood stew (recipe to follow!), and Nick Elliott of Holman poured a complementary wine: their Rose of Pinot Noir. 


The series, which brings chefs and food artisans to the Carmel Valley tasting room to share techniques for creating meals from fresh ingredients and pairing them with wine, continues monthly with raw food, winter produce, paella, bacon and other topics. Click here to see the events scheduled at the tasting room.

Comments

  1. Hmm wow sounds like yummy..i havent eaten any brazillian food lately. :(

    Bloghopping from :
    http://prewchatterly.com
    http://moneycharmer.com
    http://crazylittlethingcalledblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...