Skip to main content

Cooking Around the World: Latvia

We are working our way through the Ls in our Cooking Around the World Adventure. Yesterday we were in Laos, tonight Latvia.

Fast Facts
Population: 2,300,000
Capital: Riga
Area: 64,589 square kilometers (24,938 square miles)
Language: Latvian, Lithuanian, Russian
Religion: Lutheran, Roman Catholic, Russian Orthodox
Currency: Latvian lat

More Interesting Facts
Historically, Latvia is known by the name Lettland. Lettland gets its name from the natives ‘Letts’ or the Lettish people.

The capital of Latvia, Riga is famous for some of the best Art Nouveau architecture in Europe.

Vilhelm Ostwald of Riga was awarded the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1909.

Latvian Fridrich Cander (1887-1933) was an inventor who worked on the theory and design of jet engines and rockets.

Today, our Latvian meals bookended our day. For breakfast, we ate...

Debesmanna (Latvian Cranberry Mousse)
Click on the name, above, for the recipe.

For Dinner...

Frikadelu Zupa (Latvian Meatball Soup)

I used the bounty of our High Ground Organics CSA to make this delicious soup: 2 leeks, 1 bunch of carrots + carrot tops, 1 T crushed garlic, pat of butter and a splash of olive oil, 6 C organic chicken broth, 1 pound 96/4 grassfed organic beef, 1 egg, 1/2 C panko breadcrumbs, 2 t fresh dill, 1/2 C sour cream.

In a large soupot, melt the butter in a splash of olive oil. Add in the leeks and garlic and saute until softened. Toss in the carrots and cook until fork tender. In the meantime, mix the beef, egg, panko, and dill together in a bowl. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Drop small meatballs into broth and cook for 30 minutes. Just before serving, stir in the sour cream and season with salt and pepper, if desired.

These Global Table Ambassadors are signing off. We're headed to Lebanon next. Jake is going to be so excited; his favorite dish from his childhood is lubyee-bi-lahmi. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...