Skip to main content

Ravioli Attempt One: Frankenoli



After our pasta-making adventure at Cucina Bambini during Fall Break last year, the boys asked for - and got! - a pasta machine. Then, for Christmas, they wanted a ravioli pan; and, one of my best friends got it for them. So, we took the ravioliera out of the box yesterday and attempted to make ravioli last night. I write "attempted" on purpose. We couldn't get the ravioli out of the tray. Ugh. Riley called our pasta "Frankenoli" because they were patched up with other bits of pasta dough, misshapen, and not pretty. So we made and ate a few Frankenoli. And Dylan whipped up a batch of fettucine to fill the plates. Delicious!


Egg Pasta
Recipe from Cucina Bambini

1 C semolina flour
1 egg
water, as needed

Place flour in the center of a mat, making a well in the center. Crack and egg into the well. Gently whisk the egg to blend the yolk and the whites. Begin sprinkling flour from the walls of the well into the egg while whisking. Work all of the flour into the egg until you have a ball of dough and no flour left on your mat.

Split the dough in half and dust with flour, if sticky. Run the dough through the flat roller on setting 1 three times, folding it in half and dusting with flour in between, as needed. Then run the dough through each setting (2, 3, 4, and 5).


For ravioli: lay the pasta over your tray, fill the hollows, lay another pasta over the top and use the wooden roller to seal and cut. Gently remove the ravioli. Cook in boiling water until they float to the surface.

For fettucine: Use the noodle cutters to the width you want. Cook in boiling water until they float to the surface.

I promised them we'd attempt ravioli again next weekend. We will get this right eventually!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...