Skip to main content

Rainbow Eggs

My mom always told me that you need to have at least three different colors on your plate. She wasn't talking about food coloring; she was talking about vibrant, natural colors. And it makes sense. With different hued foods, you're getting different nutrients.  For example red foods are often high in lycopene while orange and yellow foods provide you with beta-carotene; green fruits and vegetables contain chlorophyll while purple and blue foods include lutein.

Here's an easy breakfast that will have your family eating a rainbow of colors all on one plate.  I use whatever vegetables I have on hand.  This morning it was zucchini, mushrooms, sweet red peppers, and spinach.  I sauté the veggies in a splash of olive oil.  And since my boys live in a restaurant, I have to cook the eggs different ways for the different tastes.  Riley likes his eggs over-medium, so I plate the veggies first and top them with over-medium eggs.  Dylan prefers scrambled eggs, so his veggies are mixed inside.

 


See, Mom, red + green + brown + yellow...that's more than three!

If you have any leftover veggies, like I did this morning, put them on top of a salad for lunch.

Comments

  1. Mmm, I love vegetables mixed with my eggs. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...