Skip to main content

Green Eggs and Ham for Dr. Seuss's Birthday

Every year the boys' school celebrates Dr. Seuss's birthday with a pajama-clad day of reading; they get to wear pajamas, bring stuffed animals, bring blankets, and bring books to read. What fun! I wish I could wear my pajamas to work. 

And every year we kick off the morning with a breakfast of green eggs and ham.  I tried, unsuccessfully I might add, to avoid the food coloring this year, telling them that "the eggs are 'green' as in 'organic' and 'free-range.'"  They were not going for it.  So I dug the vials of food coloring out of the far recesses of my cupboards, squeezed in a few drops, and called it good.  It's only once a year, right?



“Do you like green
eggs and ham?”
“I do not like them,
Sam-I-am.
I do not like green
eggs and ham!”

Comments

  1. very cute way to celebrate :)
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to recreate a classic and celebrate Dr. Seuss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Camilla, you are definitely the coolest mom.

    I made Green Eggs and Ham for Max on Dr. Seuss's birthday, and had a real "Green Eggs and Ham" moment when Max took one look at them and said, "Ew! I don't like that!" "Try it, try it..." I insisted. She did, and she liked them. Couldn't have choreographed it better if I was the Doc himself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...