Skip to main content

Bacon-Beet Green Pie

I love savory pies for brunch.  And every pie needs to start with a flaky, buttery crust. Here's the crust I use for all of my savory recipes...


5 T cold water
1/2 C butter
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 t salt

Mix the salt and flour together with a whisk. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender until you have a coarse, nearly uniform mixture. Make a well in the center and add the ice water. Mix with a fork until it comes together into a dough ball. Knead a few times, only until the dough is smooth. Extra kneading will make the crust tough instead of crumbly.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough to about 1/8 inch thick and form the crust - or just press the crust into your pan. Prebake the crust for 20 minutes before filling and baking it.

For the filling, I cooked the bacon; I sauteed onions and chopped beet greens in butter till slightly softened; and I quickly cooked sliced brown mushrooms till they were barely softened. Spoon the beet greens, onions, and mushrooms into the prebaked crust, top with crumbled bacon, shredded parmesan cheese, and beaten egg. Sprinkle with pink Himalaya salt, cover, and bake till egg sets, approximately an hour.

Photobucket



Also share with the Let's Do Brunch linky party through 21stcenturyhousewife.com.

Comments

  1. Wow! I am loving this idea...definitely a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why didn't i find this post when i was in major need of breakfast inspiration!? this looks delicious!

    i'm hosting a blog hop called mangia mondays & i would love you to share this and any other recipe you may have!

    http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have thought to put beets in a pie. And I love beets (and bacon and pie and savory pies for brunch as well). Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camilla, it sounds so delicious. I love beets, and have loved reading about all the amazing things you've done with them. Thank you for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me...".

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a wonderful brunch dish - and good for you too! Savory pies are one of my favourite dishes. Thank you for sharing your recipe with Let's Do Brunch - hope to 'see' you there again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...