Skip to main content

Spiced Beet Mousse


Yes, you read that correctly. Beet. Mousse.

I came across a recipe for a beet-cardamom mousse and was instantly smitten.  But I didn't have any cardamom, so I adapted and came up with this gorgeous colorful concoction.  It was part one of my beet dessert trio.

1 pound of peeled beets, boiled and cooking water reserved
1 t gelatin
ground cinnamon
ground nutmeg
ground ginger
ground ancho chili powder
1/4 C maple syrup
1 C heavy cream

Transfer cooked beets to a blender. Take 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and put in a small saucepan with the gelatin. Bring to a boil and whisk until well combined. This will take about 5 minutes. Transfer with the beets and blend together until creamy and smooth. Add the spices and syrup. Blend a little more. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until mixture has cooled completely ( about 1-2 hours).

Whip heavy cream with 1/4 C organic sugar until strong peaks form. With a spatula, incorporate the beet mixture gently into the cream and refrigerate for 8 hours or more. Fill each cup with the mousse.

Before serving top each mousse cup with a dollop of whipped cream and a dash of ancho chili powder.

Photobucket

Comments

  1. This actually sounds like it would be amazing! Thanks!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camilla, It looks really colorful and pretty! How does it taste? I never associated beets with a sweet treat.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Beth, it was delicious, if I might say so myself. I think next time I would lighten up on the nutmeg. Otherwise, it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this on Sweets for a Saturday and had to check it out. Looks very interesting - I just may have to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea...I'm a vegan and can't wait to try a vegan version. A very inspired combination of ingredients. I know that some people--like the Waldorf Astoria hotel in NYC!--make red velvet cake with beet powder. I look forward to doing some exploring! Thanks so much from The Blooming Platter, www.thebloomingplatter.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you through Sweet as Sugar Cookies. This looks so interesting! My daughter loves beets, so when we have a ton of them this summer from our CSA, I may try this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look beautiful, Camilla! Was the mousse as delicious as it looks? I always think of beets as having a slight starchiness. Did the starchiness carry through?

    Thank you for sharing your culinary magic at Rook No. 17. It was wonderful to have you back this week!

    Funny thing -- I have Guy Fieri on in the background and he's at a vegetarian restaurant where they serve "Beet Sliders".

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jenn, no, not starchy at all. Beet sliders...I'll have to look that one up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely brilliant! I have never seen this before and I love it!!! What a fun way of getting veggies in at dessert and also a great valentines day dessert with out all the nasty food coloring. I've bookmarked it to try out with my next batch of beets.
    Natural desserts are so hard to find. I hope you'll swing by tomorrow to share this with us at Whole Food Wednesdays at beyondthepeel.net.

    Ps I've heard of beet sliders too...been meaning to try them out..as well as beet carpaccio.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...