Skip to main content

#eatyourgreens: Kale-Had-a-Hard-Day Salad

I'm all about balance. So, to counter all of my #burgermonth posts, I'm sharing a greens post for Shaheen's 'Eat Your Greens' food blog challenge, at A2K - A Seasonal Veg Table. Here's the invitation.

Encouraging people to eat their greens is a passion of mine. We even eat the greens from our carrot bunches! Here's a salad that we make all the time; I presented this at a teen cooking class I taught this month called Eating a Rainbow. All of the kids loved it!


Funny story about this recipe. It's really a massaged kale salad, but I wanted to incorporate what my kitchen elf asked about it in its title.

Raw kale is tough, so you need break down the fibers somehow. In the past I have blanched it, softening it before using it in a recipe. Massaging it accomplishes the same thing. The first time my littlest kitchen elf helped me, this was our conversation:

D, can you help Mommy with dinner?
"Sure, what can I do?"
Can you please massage the kale in that bowl?
"What?"
Massage the kale, please.
"Did it have a hard day?"
Yes.
"Okay."

Now he's our resident Kale Master. And he calls it our Kale-Had-a-Hard-Day Salad.


[printable recipe at Massaged Kale Salad]
Ingredients
  • 1 bunch kale, larger ribs removed and chopped into 1" pieces
  • 2 T olive oil
  • juice and zest from 1 lemon
  • freshly ground sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • fresh herbs, destemmed and thinly sliced (we used a mix of parsley, basil, mint, and oregano)
Procedure
Place the kale in a large mixing bowl and pour the olive oil and lemon juice over the leaves.

Massage until the leaves are softened and have turned from a greyish-green to a bright, deep emerald.



Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in the fresh herbs. Let sit for another 10 minutes before serving so the flavors can fully develop.

I also love how flexible this is. As long as you have oil and a citrus you can create any number of combinations. I've done a Kale Salad with Lemon-Lavender and Kale Salad with Apples and Beets, for example.

Comments

  1. Such a sweet story, innocence in kids just makes you smile. Thank you so much for this lovely entry. I love kale, but have not massaged it yet :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...