Saturday, August 31, 2013

Spicy Grahams


I originally made this dough for my Food'N'Flix offering this month; I had planned to make a version of Mallomars, but they ended up being Mess-omars. Still, the cookie part was good. So, I stuck the dough in the fridge for another time. This was it!

I guess Jake was bolstered by his fulfilled request for Mango Sticky Rice. So, when I asked what I should do with the chestnut paste I found, he ventured another suggestion: cheesecake?!? Okay. I decided to bake up my graham cracker dough for the crust.


1 C plus 1 T white whole wheat flour, plus more for the work surface
1/2 t baking soda
4 T butter, at room temperature, cut into pieces
1/4 C plus 1 T firmly packed organic dark brown sugar
1 T ginger syrup
1/2 t vanilla extract
2 T whole milk
dash of ground ginger
dash of ground cinnamon
dash of ground nutmeg
dash of ground cardamom

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium-high speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and honey and continue to beat until creamy, about 3 minutes more. Beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until just combined.

Lightly flour the work surface. Roll the dough to a 1/4-inch thickness - between two pieces of parchment. Since they were just going to end up as crushed crumbles anyway, I didn't bother to cut them into any particular shape. I just left them as a blob shape.

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the crackers are dry to the touch but still have a tiny bit of spring to them. Do not bake until crisp. The crackers’ color will barely change. Cool completely on the pans set on racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons