Skip to main content

Dragon Tongue Shelling Beans



Besides having the coolest name ever, these Dragon Tongue shelling beans are a seasonal treat! Whenever they appear in our CSA box, or at the farmers' markets, we relish their nutty freshness in a dish or two.

This week, Kitchen Elf 2 helped me shell the ones we got from Fogline Farm. He even separated them by coloration. So pretty!

Dragon Tongue shelling beans are photogenic string beans, tinted with patterns of cream and crimson. These are one of the varieties that are normally grown for drying but can be cooked fresh. They have a sweet, subtle flavor that lies somewhere between the earthy complexity of dried beans and the green, grassy taste of fresh ones. Don't miss out. You still have a week or two to find them.

Comments

  1. Hi ---- Reading your blog I found the Dragon Tongue Beans - do they sell them (FogLine Farms or otherwise) at most local Farmer's Markets? My grandson, who like your children, seems to have a very sophisticated palate and thought he'd get a kick out of something that had these beans in it! Thanks so much and love your blog! MMR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Margaret! You should be able to find them at farmers' markets this week. I didn't get a chance to swing into the one at Del Monte today, but definitely check the Alvarado market this week, if you can. Good luck!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...