Skip to main content

Pink Lady Apple Tart with a Plum Glaze {France}


In answer the boys' united cry for pastries, I did whip up a French Apple Tart for dessert...with some pink lady apples.

2 C flour
1/2 C softened butter
1/2 C organic, granulated sugar
1/4 C olive oil
1 T cold water

Mix the flour, sugar and salt; rub in the butter with olive oil until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in 1 tablespoon of water with a fork until the mixture forms a ball. Roll out between two pieces of parchment paper. Press gently into a tart pan. Chill for at least one hour.

almond paste
6 pink lady apples
1/4 C organic, granulated sugar
3 T butter

Heat oven to 375º. Lay disk of almond paste in the bottom of the tart. Working with one apple half at a time, thinly slice into sections, keeping slices together. Press sliced apple half gently to fan it out and arrange it in the crust; repeat with remaining apple halves. Fill in any gaps with remaining apple. Sprinkle with sugar and then dot with butter. Bake until golden brown, 70—80 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat plum jam in a small saucepan until warmed and loose. Transfer tart to a wire rack; using a pastry brush, brush top of tart with jam. Let cool completely before slicing. Serve with whipped cream.

*Update 8/8/2013: I linked this to From Calculus to Cupcake's Foodie Friends Friday Apple Week party. Check out what the other foodie bloggers brought to the apple round-up.*

Comments

  1. I don't think I've ever seen plum jam! This looks delicious. Thank you for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday. Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picking your tart for my host favorite this week from Foodie Friends Friday Apple Party! Grab your badge and share your win Monday at http://www.foodiefriendsfridaydailydish.com/
    Cindy's Recipes and Writings

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...