Skip to main content

Cooking Around the World: Gabon

Though we are launching into a new school year this week, and dinners might get more hectic as we begin the homework juggling act, tonight we are celebrating the beginning of 3rd and 5th grades with some tabletop travel to the African nation of Gabon.


Gabon Mustard Chicken
chicken pieces
1/2 C mustard (I used a combination of organic yellow mustard and Kona honey mustard)
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 leek, trimmed and sliced
1 T garlic, minced
juice from 2 lemons
lemon zest

Quickly sear the sides of the chicken. Add the onions, leek, garlic, and juice from 1 lemon. Cook till the onions are slightly translucent. Add the mustard, remaining lemon juice, and cover the pot to trap the steam. Cook on very low heat for about an hour until the chicken is cooked through. Traditionally, they serve this over a bed of rice; I served it over whole wheat couscous.

Chakery
This is a dessert that seems to be traditional in several different African nations: fermented milk, couscous, vanilla, and nutmeg.

2 C whole wheat couscous
2 T organic granulated sugar
1 T vanilla
1 t nutmeg
1/2 C plain yogurt
1 T milk








We're headed to Gambia next...still in Africa.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...